Sunday, November 8, 2009

BP5_2009112_Researching and Blogging about 2.0 Tools-Week 2


Figure 1. Photo taken from Face in Hole Website.

BP5_2009118_Researching and Blogging about 2.0 Tools-Week 2

GOOGLE WAVE
Google Wave
http://wave.google.com/help/wave/closed.html

With Google Wave, students and teachers alike can communicate and work together in real time. The possibilities are endless in that collaboration and communication, two basic skills one needs to be successful in life, are realized using the application. Unfortunately, only a limited number of people are able to try it out. One must wait for their invite. I did apply but have not heard as of yet, so I a still waiting. A new toy to a technology geek is always best when it is free! I was not able to use the tool but there is a very long video, which speaks about the application. As far as educational use, students could work together no matter their location on campus and collaborate across the curriculum. They would not lose the visual communication element that many Web 2.0 and online educational environments do not promote. I would love to be able to have students in my lab communicate with their peers in their history class while working on the newspaper in Publisher. We could work together and when they were able to be in Tech, then those students would be working on the computer and the roles would change. I could collaborate with the instructor who is well versed in the subject he teaches and who has requested the project. We can collaborate while I use my expertise on the computer, and his in history. The best of both worlds and the students can see this communication happen. They could use the same model and work with professionals in areas of interest. If they want to become a pro ball player, then let them see the hard work they put in before making it to the big leagues. They see the glamour, but do not get to see the behind the scenes. With Google Wave, students can call up an icon and see for themselves, even though it

FACE IN THE HOLE.COM
Face in Hole.com
http://www.faceinhole.com/us/

This application was so much fun! I just wish I could use a live feed to position my profile to fit the image better. I spent way too much time playing with this application. I also realized my students would have an absolute blast. They love to role-play and manipulate their pictures. With Face in the Hole, they put their photos into the proper spot and they can become a superhero, or a cartoon character. I remember my brother sent my mom a photo of Indianna Jones, just like the photo they have on this application. His face implanted where Harrison Fords was supposed to go. We did not see it at first because the image was seamless but once we did, it was hysterical! Again, to be able to position your image live would work best so you could actually get the correct facial expression for the shot. As far as educational purposes, students can take on the persona of a character in a story. There is a feature for you to download your own character and/or scene, so they could make their own. Especially for their history class, they could become George Washington or Abraham Lincoln. We could also get the art classes involved to work on some graphics that the kids can use for their Language Arts projects. Some of the teachers have the students rewrite fairytales and they could create their own scene and then super impose their face in the image or use the ones already on the website. For instance, I have always wanted to be a Jedi!

PB WORKS
PB Wiki
http://pbworks.com/

PB Wiki, currently PB Works is a site that you can create a personal or class page, and it is a great place to begin to learn the ways of wikis. We used PB Wiki to start a middle school class site, but we never implemented it full scale. I did create a class set of passwords so that the students can see their work, but we again, have not implemented it at the level we would like. Our district is going to host a regulated Wiki site so PB Works will not be used on the full scale we were initially thinking. All in all, the site is a great place to offer participants a forum to discuss and share ideas. PB Works, a basic wiki site, the one we used to start during our first week at Full Sail. Some classmates were asking questions and felt a wiki would help so we could all have a place to post and share ideas. I created the Full Sail wiki site since I had an already established account. I just needed to add names and email addresses. Even though the site is not as active as at the onset of our MS program, it was there to network and get our classmates over the initial butterflies of taking on such a rigorous program. I have plans to use PB Wiki in my classroom to post students work and share ideas with them. A teacher used her wiki to give out bonus material for students to earn points in class, plus other extra-curricular activities. The kids could not wait to see what was waiting online. It is a great tool, and a user friendly one for those teachers new to wikis.

1 comment:

  1. Christine ,

    Okay like you I (we) had way too much fun with FaceintheHole. My son walked in the room as I opened up the program and started to explore, we roared with laughter as we played with the animation tools and took turns making silly pictures of each other.

    With my little ones it would be cute for creating a holiday card for parents, or as you suggested downloading your own scenarios maybe of different things we do throughout the school year.

    Either way educational or just for fun my son and I had a blast.

    ReplyDelete