Monday, November 2, 2009

BP4_2009112_Researching and Blogging About Web 2.0 Tools


Figure 1. Image created by Aaron Berchild. Source: Storybird website (2009)

BP4_2009112_Researching and Blogging About Web 2.0 Tools

The Web 2.0 tool I used is called Storybird. (Storybird, 2009) I was attracted to the site because of the storytelling element, which tied into my technology curriculum. We complete different digital storytelling project throughout the year and Storybird (2009) offers a creation element that students can use. They are provided with a group of pictures and they create a story using the photos in a unique way. I saw the photo of the killer whale and immediately thought of a student in my class named Alex. His dream job is to work at Seaworld and train the killer whales. He is obsessed with them, and I wanted to write a story about his love of sea creatures. The pictures were limiting, and my creativity was eventually stifled. Basically, the pictures dictated my story, not me.

As far as the educational benefits the tool provides, it is a way for students to have varying exposure to writing using graphics as the generator of the story. We could not use the tool during class, but I could offer it as an at home opportunity. We do not have access to this tool, as I tried it already and the site is unfortunately blocked. The graphics were very artistic and expressive. My students would have enjoyed looking at the pictures and trying to figure out a theme. It would have been a great project to select the photos or graphics and then ask them to create a story to tie them all in, like a story thread. We could pass the slides around and they could add their own pages to create a whole. Again, the photos were limiting and if you had a special need, I did not see a way to upload your own images to complete your unique story. Also, manipulation of the graphics and text is cumbersome and controlling.

I did get an idea to use this basic tool to teach students how to write their own children?s book digitally, whereby they would create their own graphics. Students have become very creative with tools like Paint and using their Microsoft Office graphics.

Storybird-Alex the Boy Who Loved All the Creatures of the Sea. (2009). Storybird. Retrieved November 2, 2009, from http://storybird.com/books/alex-the-boy-who-loved-all-the-creatures-of-the-se/

3 comments:

  1. I liked this idea. It is another to get students to write on their own. Students will be having a good time writing without knowing it is work. This is the kind of lesson that I am looking for to incorporate with the writing process. The idea of passing the slides and having the students add their own idea to enhance the story was and is a great idea. Thanks for the idea and I hope you don't mind me using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this tool. I thought that it was a great idea to have students create storyboards using high quality images. I teach third grade and I can really see how much my students would enjoy this web app. The pictures would help them to focus their ideas and keep them on topic as they write their story. This app seems as though it would be a great tool to use the help beginning writers learn how to put together a complete story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris I like your Web 2.0 tool. I selected TiKatok. This Web 2.0 tool will allow students to create book's and publish them. I'm very excited about the tool the only draw back is, it is not free.

    ReplyDelete